Friday, November 28, 2014

Doctor Sleep By Stephen King

Stephen King has never been a sequel kind of guy. A series kind of guy? Maybe. A master storyteller of great length, when needed? Absolutely. But sequels? As a long time fan of his books (I can still remember walking into a bookstore and asking for Different Seasons, my stepmother standing behind me, waving to the clerk to tell me they didn't have so she could have it for me, wrapped under the Christmas tree) I never really considered that King would revisit any of his chilling tales. I have a few characters of his that drift into my mind from time to time, wondering what ever became of them, if they would ever suffer or rise again from his pen. Then I heard a rumor that Danny Torrence would live again- that we would find out what happened to the little boy from The Overlook Hotel, fatherless and haunted. Then the rumor turned to truth and I had the book. I devoured Doctor Sleep. Haunting, twisted, delightful and unyielding in all the ways only Stephen King can be. I don't want to give anything away. Not even a morsel but if you loved The Shining, you'll love Doctor Sleep. I hope you'll take the chance to revisit Danny. He's a friend worth checking in on.

No comments:

Post a Comment