Saturday, April 25, 2009

Tobias Wolff



I am fairly certain I have read everything Tobias Wolff has written. Most people know his childhood memoir This Boy's Life, which was turned into a movie starring a young Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert DeNiro. I have to say, by far, he is my favorite author of all-time. In fact I was able to meet him a year or so ago and was thankful when a friend pushed me to ask for a photo with him to mark the occasion. He was everything I hoped he would be and that doesn't happen often.


Even though Mr. Wolff is most well known for a memoir, the majority of his career is marked by short stories. His writing style is similar to Ernest Hemingway's short stories, and are typically concise and more on the minimalistic side. Our Story Begins is a good jumping off point as it contains the best of along with a few new stories. I used A Night in Question as a thesis book and was amazed at the structure and content of his stories and found myself enthralled each time I read it. If you prefer nonfiction he has an amazing Vietnam memoir entitled, In Pharaoh's Army. If you only want to give Tobias Wolff one chance, read his short story 'A Bullet to the Brain.' It will blow your mind- pun completely intended!
We carry just about all of Tobias Wolff's book in-store and we can point you in the right direction. Happy reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment